Matthews Hall Room 214G
812 Mitch Daniels Blvd.
Associate Professor, Department of Public Health
College of Pharmacy; Department of Human Development & Family Studies; Department of Health and Kinesiology
Areas of Expertise
- Women's Health
- Genital Health & Hygiene
- Family Planning
- Sexual Violence
HHS Signature Research Area(s)
- Healthy Lifestyles and Vital Longevity
- Sustainable Organizations and Thriving Communities
Department of Public Health Research Area(s)
- Women’s Health
- Health Disparities
- Prevention Science
- Community-Engaged Research
- Intervention and Implementation Science
- Health Systems and Policies
Dr. Andrea DeMaria is a tenured professor who joined the Purdue University faculty in August 2016. In addition to her Purdue University affiliations, she holds an adjunct appointment within the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at the Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. DeMaria’s women’s health research approach has utilized qualitative and quantitative methods—her findings inform program development, implementation, and evaluation in community and clinical settings to improve the lives of women and girls locally, nationally, and internationally. As a March of Dimes Advocacy Fellow, Dr. DeMaria translated her research into action through developing and implementing reproductive health policies in Indiana and advocating for women’s health issues and rights locally and nationally. Dr. DeMaria was named as one of the top 120 under 40 family planning leaders in the world by the Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health.
Dr. DeMaria founded and directs the Interdisciplinary Women’s Reproductive Collaborative and is looking to build her research agenda and lab at Purdue University. She is actively seeking faculty collaborators and community partners.
Dr. DeMaria leads a 7-week women’s health research-focused summer study abroad program to Florence, Italy. Check out Purdue University’s Study Abroad page for more details. She values teaching, at both the graduate and undergraduate levels, and is a three-time Outstanding Public Health Faculty Member (2021, 2020, 2018) award recipient.
- PhD, 2011, Texas A&M University
- MS, 2008, University of North Texas
- BA, 2006, Purdue University
Social Media Accounts
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Safe Zone
- PUBH 606 - Design & Analysis of Public Health Interventions
- PUBH 225 - Contemporary Women's Health
- PUBH 490 - Florence Italy Study Abroad Program
- Outstanding Leadership in Globalization Award; Office of Corporate and Global Partnerships; Purdue University - 2022
- 120 Under 40: The New Generation of Family Planning Leaders. Bill & Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health within the Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health - 2019
- Christine M. Ladisch Faculty Leadership Award; College of Health and Human Sciences; Purdue University - 2019
- HHS Study Abroad Leadership Award; College of Health and Human Sciences; Purdue University - 2019
- College of Health and Human Sciences Faculty Fellow of the Year; Purdue University - 2019