715 Clinic Dr.
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Health and Kinesiology
Director, A.H. Ismail Center for Preventive and Lifestyle Medicine
Director, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Areas of Expertise
- Teaching and Learning
- Clinical Exercise Physiology
HHS Signature Research Area(s)
- Healthy Lifestyles and Vital Longevity
Department of Health and Kinesiology Research Area(s)
- Applied Exercise and Health
- Exercise Physiology
Mr. Yates joined the Department of Health and Kinesiology as a Clinical Assistant Professor and Director of the A.H. Ismail Center for Preventive and Lifestyle Medicine in December 2021. Prior to arriving at Purdue University, he held administrative positions as Lab Manager in the New England Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center (GRECC) at the Boston VA Medical Center and Sr. Clinical Research Coordinator of the Football Players Health Study at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School. He also attained graduate training in Healthcare Management from Kelley School of Business (IUPUI).
Mr. Yates is a certified strength and conditioning specialist (CSCS) and an active member of several professional societies: American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), American Physiological Society (APS), and American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine (ACRM).
- B.S., Exercise Science, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN, 2011
- M.S., Exercise Science, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 2015
- Ph.D., Musculoskeletal Health Sciences, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, IN PROGRESS
- Graduate Certificate in Medical Management, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, IN, 2020
- HK269 - Career Development and Preparation for Health and Fitness Fields
- HK411 - Clinical Applications of Health and Fitness Concepts
- HK492 - Clinical Exercise Physiology Internship
- Gallardo EJ, Gray DA, Hoffman RL, Yates BA, Moorthi RN, Coggan AR. Dose-Response Effect of Dietary Nitrate on Muscle Contractility and Blood Pressure in Older Subjects: A Pilot Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2021 Mar 31;76(4):591-598.
- Yates BA, Ellis LA, Muñoz CX, Armstrong LE. Diagnostic accuracy of urinary indices to detect mild dehydration in young men following acute riboflavin, Vitamin C or beetroot supplementation. Clin Nutr ESPEN. 2020 Jun;37:129-133.
- Yates BA, Ellis LA, Butts CL, McDermott BP, Williamson KH, Armstrong LE. Factors Associated with Pre-Event Hydration Status and Drinking Behavior of Middle-Aged Cyclists. J Nutr Health Aging. 2018;22(3):335-340.
- Yates BA. The HEART of the matter: the integration of respiratory mechanics, exertional dyspnoea and exercise intensity. J Physiol. 2019 Jun;597(11):2839-2840.
- Churchill TW, Krishnan S, Weisskopf M, A Yates B, Speizer FE, Kim JH, Nadler LE, Pascual-Leone A, Zafonte R, Baggish AL. Weight Gain and Health Affliction Among Former National Football League Players. Am J Med. 2018 Dec;131(12):1491-1498.