Limited Term Lecturer
Department of Public Health
Michael Reger earned his B.S. in Health Sciences from Purdue University, and his MPH and PhD in Epidemiology from Indiana University. He currently serves as an Associate Professor of the Practice at the University of Notre Dame. He has served as an assistant/associate professor of public health at Ferris State University in Big Rapids, MI. There he established a broad background in public health teaching and course development, working in many different areas of public health including epidemiology, biostatistics, environmental health, public health nutrition, health behavior and health promotion, and others. Working at a teaching institution for eight years allowed him to shape his general teaching philosophy, which consists of approachability and availability to students, as well as the belief that a professor should be a resource for student success. He has also served as a limited term lecturer in the Purdue online MPH program since the program began.
- PhD, 2014, Indiana University
- MPH, 2009, Indiana University
- BS, 2005, Purdue University
Areas of Expertise
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology
- Nutritional Epidemiology
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee Member, Ferris State University
- Fan, H., Yu, Y., Nan, H., Hoyt, M., Reger, MK., Anderson, K., Zhang, J. “Associations between intake of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus and risk of pancreatic cancer: A population-based, case-control study in Minnesota.” British Journal of Nutrition, 2021
- Wang, K., Qu, Q., Li, Z., Reger, MK., Xiong, Y, Zhong, G., Li, Q., Zhang, X., Li, H., Foukakis, T., Xiang, T., Zhang, J., Ren, G. “Vitamin K intake and breast cancer incidence and death: results from a prospective cohort study.” Clinical Nutrition, 2020
- Hoyt, M., Reger, MK., Marley, A., Fan, H., Nan, H., Liu, Z., & Zhang, J. “Vitamin K intake and prostate cancer risk in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial.” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2019; 109(2), pgs. 392-401.
- Reger, MK., Zollinger, T., Liu, Z., Jones, J., & Zhang, J. “Dietary intake of isoflavones and coumestrol and the risk of prostate cancer in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial.” International Journal of Cancer, 2018; 142(4), pgs. 719-728.
- Reger, MK., Zollinger, T., Liu, Z., Jones, J., & Zhang, J. “Association between urinary phytoestrogens and C-reactive protein in the continuous National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.” Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2017; 36(6), pgs. 434-441.
- Purdue University MPH Program Online Faculty of the Year - 2020
- Ferris State University Summer Research Grant - 2018
- Ferris State University Faculty Research Award - 2017
- Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health - 2015