502 North University Street
Pi-Ju (Marian) Liu
Assistant Professor, School of Nursing
Faculty Associate, Center on Aging and the Life Course
Department of Human Development and Family Studies
Areas of Expertise
- Elder Abuse, Neglect/Self-Neglect, Financial Exploitation, Fraud/Scam
- Adult Protective Services
HHS Signature Research Area(s)
- Developmental Health and Wellness
- Healthy Lifestyles and Vital Longevity
- Sustainable Organizations and Thriving Communities
School of Nursing Research Area(s)
- Care of the Older Adult
- Health Policy and Evaluation
- Health Promotion and Population Health
- Healthcare Systems and Organizations
Dr. Liu conducts applied research around elder justice and care issues, covering topics on elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation. She works with Adult Protective Services (APS) at the national, state (California, Montana, Utah), and county level (San Francisco, Napa) to measure effective service and outcomes using the Identification, Services, and Outcomes Matrix. In addition to numerous peer-reviewed publications through her grants, she has impacted elder justice policy in areas such as creating a blueprint for a statewide APS data system in California, advocating for additional training for APS workforce nationwide, identifying effective APS services for elder abuse victims/survivors, and providing additional long-term services and supports for people with both Medicare and Medicaid. Visit her personal website to learn more about her work: http://www.pijumarianliu.com/
- PhD, 2014, Claremont Graduate University
- BA, 2008, National Taiwan University
- NURS 525 - Nursing Informatics
- Office of Engagement Faculty Engagement Scholar Award, Purdue University - April 2022
- Rosalie S. Wolf Memorial Award, National Adult Protective Services Association - August 2019
- Principal Investigator, Pathways to Safety for At-Risk Adults Experiencing Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation: Bridges from Adult Protective Services (APS) to Community-Based Services (EJIG 90EJIG0021-01-00). Period: 09/01/21 - 08/31/23. Total: $999,992.
- Evaluator, National Adult Protective Services Training Center (EJRC 90EJRC0001-01-00). National Adult Protective Services Association (PI). Period: 09/01/21 - 09/30/23. Total: $3,000,000.
- Principal Investigator, Evaluation of California Adult Protective Services’ Use of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 (CDSS 20-3163). Period: 04/01/21 - 09/30/22.
- Evaluator, Montana’s System Transformation to Assist Adult Protective Services: Focus on Opioid Misuse (EJSG 90EJSG0044-01-00). State of Montana (PI). Period: 09/01/20 - 10/15/22.
- Principal Investigator, Telling the Story of Adult Protective Services: Piloting California Adult Protective Services Identification, Services, and Outcomes (ISO) Matrix (EJIG 90EJIG0017-01-00). Period: 09/30/17 - 09/29/19.
In the News
- Pop-up Covid testing sites may be rife for identity theft, experts say
- Tell Us About It Episode 31: Learn from NAPSA’s Research to Practice Team: Collaboration is Key
- Tying Adult Protective Services practice to outcomes
- Don’t Click! Coronavirus Text and Phone Scams Are Designed to Trick You
- Coronavirus' 'social distancing' is a scammer's dream. Here's how to not be a victim
- Here's how scammers are exploiting coronavirus fears
- Scam expert shares how to not end up on scammers’ sucker list
- Purdue prof warns of holiday scams