1202 W State St
W Lafayette, Indiana 47907
Professor, Department Head, Ben & Maxine Miller Professor of Human Development and Family Studies, Department of Human Development and Family Science
Areas of Expertise
- prenatal exposure, behavior genetics, ADHD, neurocognitive deficits, genetically-informed designs, stress management
HHS Signature Research Area(s)
- Developmental Health and Wellness
- Healthy Lifestyles and Vital Longevity
Department of Human Development and Family Science Research Area(s)
- Health and Well-Being
My primary research program focuses on the joint effects of genetic, epigenetic, and environmental (specifically prenatal and early postnatal) risk factors on birth outcomes, externalizing behavior (e.g., ADHD), associated learning and cognitive deficits, and subsequent substance use.
I also collaborate with local, national, and international scientists on projects including, but not limited to: cannabis-related outcomes, sleep, adolescent alcohol use disorder, family interventions for adolescent substance use, depression-related outcomes, epigenetics, and child maltreatment. My research is inherently collaborative and interdisciplinary, integrating across research traditions and study designs, incorporating community as well as high-risk genetically-informed samples.
I am Associate Editor for Behavior Genetics, on the editorial board of Psychological Medicine, and a consulting editor for Child Development, as well as the lead author on the textbook, Behavioral Genetics (7th ed).
Not accepting graduate student applications for the December 1, 2023 deadline.
- BA, 1994, Wesleyan College
- MA, 1999, University of Colorado, Boulder
- PhD, 2000, University of Colorado, Boulder
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2000-2002, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis
Social Media Accounts
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- ADVANCE-Purdue; Bias Awareness & Intervention; EquityNOW; Mediation Training; Bias Awareness Training for NIH Reviewers
- HDFS 305 - Biosocial Foundations of the Family
- HDFS 685 - Introduction to Behavioral Genetics
- Miller Endowed Professor, Purdue University - 2017-present
- Fulker Award, Behavior Genetics Association - 2017
- Donal MacNamara Award, American Criminal Justice Society - 2015
- Fuller and Scott Early Career Award, Behavior Genetics Association - 2009
- Co-Investigator, Integrative Prioritization of Alcohol and Drug-Addiction Related Genetic Loci (R01 NIAAA/NIDA). Rohan Palmer (PI). Period: 04/01/18 - 03/31/23.
- Co-investigator, The Kinship Risk Score: An Integrative Tool to Prioritize Alcohol and Drug-Addiction Related Genes for Enhanced Risk Prediction (R01 DP1DA042103). Rohan Palmer (PI). Period: 09/15/2017 - 07/31/2022.
- Co-Investigator, Longitudinal examination of DNA methylation in maltreated children. (R01 HD095837-01). Stephanie Parade (PI). Period: 09/01/18 - 08/30/23.
- NIH, Child Psychopathology & Developmental Disabilities (CPDD) IRG/Study Section
- Associate Editor, Behavior Genetics
- Editorial Board, Psychological Medicine
- Consulting Editor, Child Development
- Member, Behavior Genetics Association (Secretary 2013-2016; Diversity and Inclusion Committee 2018-2019)