Purdue’s financial counseling and planning program is ranked by Wealth Management.com as of one of the Top 20 Colleges for Financial Planning. In the financial counseling and planning major, you’ll learn how to combine your financial aptitude with communication skills to help individuals and families achieve financial security. With a small professor-to-student ratio, courses are taught by faculty and industry professionals who bring a combination of theory, research and the most up-to-date business practices into the classroom.
The program focuses on seven critical elements of financial planning, which include personal finance, risk management, tax law, consumer investing, estate planning, ethics and compliance as well as retirement planning. The program is registered with the Certified Financial Planner Board, and it is the only program at Purdue that satisfies the education component of the CFP® certification process. Upon graduating from the program, you’ll be qualified to sit for the rigorous CFP® Board exam — an industry-standard designation. Learn more about pursuing a CFP® career.
Students who majored in financial counseling and planning have gone on to successful careers at Ameriprise Financial Services, Charles Schwab, Edward Jones, E*Trade Financial Corp, New York Life, Vanguard Group and more. The following are notable career paths for financial counseling and planning majors:
- Bank trust officer
- Business and financial analyst
- Employee benefits administrator
- Entrepreneur, business owner
- Financial aid director
- Financial advisor
- Financial counselor
- Financial planner
- Human resources manager
- Insurance representative
- Investment analyst
- Loan officer
- Personal banker
- Risk analyst
- Social worker
- Wealth manager
- The Ray Kavanaugh HTM Career Center provides career planning services and coordinates more than 700 interviews each year.
- HTM Career Day brings representatives from the industry to campus each fall for a career fair, keynote address and reception for employers and students.
- The Center for Career Opportunities offers additional career fairs and assistance.
- Complete a required internship in a financial setting, such as an investment and brokerage firm, insurance agency, bank, financial planning firm, or credit counseling office.
- Help fellow Boilermakers achieve financial wellness by participating in the Boiler Financial Track program, a program powered by Purdue Federal and Purdue Recreation & Wellness.
- Use the latest industry software and technology to solve financial case studies in financial counseling and planning courses.
- Compete in optional case study competitions for financial counseling and planning.
- Join the Purdue chapter of the Financial Planning Association to learn more about the financial planning industry and engage with industry professionals.
- Participate in research activities in consumer economics, consumer buying behaviors, investment trends and more.
Program Quick Facts
“I chose Purdue because my aunt attended Purdue, and it was close to home. As a freshman, I was in exploratory studies and participated in the Early Start program. Now, I will be a junior in financial counseling and planning with minors in communications, management and human resource management.”— Carolyn
Hometown: Kingman, Indiana
Major: Financial Counseling and Planning
Why Purdue: I chose Purdue because my aunt attended Purdue, and it was close to home. As a freshman, I was in exploratory studies and participated in the Early Start program. Now, I will be a junior in financial counseling and planning with minors in communications, management and human resource management.
Favorite Place at Purdue: One of my favorite places to be on campus is Founder’s Park where Loeb Fountain is located, as I find the fountain peaceful and relaxing.
Advice for an Incoming Freshman: My advice to new students would be to find clubs that interest you and get involved! I am the former recruitment chair of the Financial Planning Association (FPA) Purdue Student Chapter, and am the elected treasurer for this upcoming year. This club is great for meeting others in the major (or similar majors) and also meeting professionals in the industry. We do case studies and have guest speakers.
Follow our social media to get updates on when our callouts and meetings are!