Sponsored Internship and Study Abroad in China
Beyond the Classroom | Undergraduate Students
Now accepting applications for May-Nov 2023 program. Students should talk with their academic advisor either before or as soon as the online application form is submitted. On average, 12 internship positions are available each year.
About the Program
This unique study abroad experience combines 12 credits of academic learning, professional training and an immersive cultural experience over a six-month period (mid-May through November) at one of several five-star luxury hotels in China. More than 300 Purdue students have participated in this unique, once in a lifetime program since 2000.
This program is sponsored by Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts and other Purdue corporate partners. Our corporate sponsors pay for most program expenses, including international airfare, room and board, stipends and other benefits.
Past interns were placed at these properties:
- Shangri-La Hotel, Nanjing
- Shangri-La Hotel, Suzhou
- Shangri-La Hotel, Chengdu
- Shangri-La Hotel, Dalian
- Shangri-La Hotel, Guangzhou
- Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao
- InterContinental Century City Hotel, Chengdu
- InterContinental Hotel, Nanjing
- Jinji Lake Grand Hotel, Suzhou
- Jinling Hotel, Nanjing
Earn 12 credits through five courses
Participants who successfully complete the program will earn 12 credit hours toward an HTM degree.
- HTM 181: Lodging management
- HTM 202/302: HTM industry work experience/HTM industry internship
- HTM 390: Special problems in HTM industry
- HTM 372/398: Global tourism geography/International special topics
- HTM 399: Special topics in HTM
- Or other courses applicable to non HTM majors
Estimated Program Fee: $10,860, which includes tuition, international airfare, room and board as well as a stipend. Participants may be eligible for a Purdue University study abroad scholarship.
Check out our Facebook page for videos by some of our past interns, including Rose, Seth, Kelly and Ryan.View Program Flyer (PDF)